Pre-Health Post-Baccalaureate Program (PHPB)
Frequently Asked Questions
- I already have most of the prerequisite courses completed, but I have a few left to take. Can I apply to the program?
- No. Our program is intended for students who have not completed the pre-requisite courses.
- Can I apply if I am an out of state resident?
- Yes, you may apply if you are not a Florida resident. No preference is given to Florida residents in the admission process.
- Can I take other UF courses while in the program?
- Students in the Pre-Health Post-Bac program have access to select electives through the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences. Upon admission to PHPB, an individualized academic plan will be completed with the applicant and the director. Each semester possible electives are identified and students have the opportunity to take additional courses if there is room in their schedule.
- Can I apply to professional school right after finishing the program?
- Yes. At the end of the program you will be ready to take the MCAT (or DAT) exam and apply to professional school.
- Can I apply for admission if I am currently finishing my Bachelor's degree?
- Yes. As long as your bachelor's degree is awarded prior to your first semester in the program, you are welcome to apply.
- If I completed most of the pre-requisite courses already, but did not do well in them, am I eligible to apply?
- Yes. If you have been out of school for at least two years, you can apply to our ReStart track. This track allows you to retake your science courses and complete those you've never taken.
- I don't have a 3.0 undergraduate GPA, can I apply anyway?
- We review applications holistically and in full context. In rare circumstances we may consider applicants who have below a 3.0 GPA. If you feel as though you warrant an exception you may submit an additional appeal indicating circumstances that impacted your GPA.
- How long will it take me to complete the program?
- Most students in the Career Changer and ReStart tracks should be able to complete the program in 5 semesters including summer.
- Upon completion of the program, am I guaranteed admission to UF's College of Medicine?
- No. There is no formal linkage program between the UF Pre-Health Post-Bac program and any UF professional program. PHPB students have interviewed and been accepted at multiple professional schools through the U.S. Multiple PHPB students have been accepted to UF College of Medicine. Students who do well in post-bac programs will find that linkage is not a necessity as their options will be numerous. Students still need to meet the admission requirements for the schools of interest. If there is a program with linkage to your favorite professional school you will certainly want to give this strong consideration. While PHPB does not have formal linkage we work closely with medical schools throughout the country to be certain students in PHPB have the necessary information and competitive applications as is possible by each individual.